25 August 2010

So long, and thanks

Brighton - some days later

I feel a bit like Arthur Dent, on his return to his old life on Earth:

Slipping back into his old life had in fact been laughably easy. People had such extraordinarily short memories, including him. Eight years of crazed wanderings round the Galaxy now seemed to him not so much like a bad dream as like a film he had videotaped from the TV and now kept in the back of a cupboard without bothering to watch.
So long, and thanks for all the fish, Douglas Adams

Ten days at Brighton isn't eight years of crazed wanderings round the Galaxy, but it is more intense than life at home.

Its all coming back to haunt us

The rulings from Brighton are coming back to haunt us all over the internet. It is sad to see that bad behaviour is still a problem: I think the TDs are still finding it difficult to be both firm and fair when dealing with bad behaviour; but I am sure the bulk of the problems are not reported to us. There were also problems with WBF convention cards, foreign (including Scottish) players who were forced to fill in EBU convention cards then find the local players do not have appropriately completed convention cards; I wonder if the Scottish players offered to use SBU cards, they look close enough to EBU style.

Health-wise I survived Brighton remarkably well. Considering I could not do a couple of days work per week, six months ago: I managed 10 days of up to 12 hours work a day, with midnight to 3am drinking, posting results on the internet, or blogging. My foot survived but did need a lot of care, attention and rest.

Controlling my vegetarian/diabetic diet is difficult when eating out all the time, but there is a good range of vegetarian/ethnic resturants in Brighton. The hotel resturant provided soya milk for breakfast but on the last Sunday I accidently had milk on my cereal and suffered lactose intolerance symptoms for the week after. (You do not want to know!)

It's my birthday today: half the family went to work and I had an appointment at the orthotists to collect some new shoes! (See Best foot forward.)

1 comment:

Paul Gipson said...

Some of the Scottish pairs did use SBU cards as they are the same as the old EBU ones (which are still acceptable even if depreciated).

But most of the Scottish pairs are trialists, so use a WBF card as a matter of course, and would not even have an SBU one either.