4 February 2011

Matthew Hoskins

I was shocked and saddened by this news from Sussex County Contract Bridge Association

Very sadly, one of Sussex's top players, Matthew Hoskins, has died suddenly. Our thoughts are with Liz and family at this sad time.

I was only talking to Matthew on Sunday at the end of the National Swiss Teams: his team had been lying second going into the last match. Matthew has been an ever-present feature of bridge events in the the South-East and nationally, especially at Brighton, since I started directing twenty years ago. Even when opponents had done wrong, he was always pleasant and courteous to opponents and to directors; he will be missed.

1 comment:

Paul Gipson said...

I posted similar thoughts on Facebook.

My brother knew him a lot better than I did, but as he was only a year older than me we'd been at a lot of the same tournaments over the past twenty-five years.

More precise to say that I was at some of the tournaments he attended. As number thirteen on the all-time list of masterpoint winners he played a great deal.