15 July 2013

White Book 2013

The EBU White Book 2013 is done, as far as I am concerned: just a couple of hyperlinks to be updated when the target pages are ready. I have been working on this solidly since the end of March.

Inevitably, doing such technical writing (as I did in ‘real life’) you read things in source material that you thought you had read many times before and find it does not say what you thought it said. I thought that the 2007 Laws had changed the word ‘inadvertent’ in Law 25A (change of call) to ‘unintended’, but not changed it in Law 45C4 (b) (change of card designated). But when I came to quote from Law 45C4 (b) for the White Book, I found that it too used the word ‘unintended’. (The word ‘inadvertent’ does remain in the law book in the heading of Law 47C — but I am sure that is unintended!)

It is strange I had not spotted this, as an earlier post Inadvertent designation is an offense? was confused as to which word was used in Law 45C4 (b). Re-reading that post, I see that there should have been a WBFLC ‘open invitation’ response about the reference to Law 16D1(sic) in Law 45C4 (b).

If technical editing teaches you anything, it is that you can't get everything right.

“Well, nobody's perfect”
Some Like It Hot (1959)

3 comments:

Paul Gipson said...

Hi Robin,

Downloaded the new book and there are no bookmarks in the document. These would significantly help navigation - I could then click on an item in the table of contents and jump to the relevant page.

The Blue Book suffers the same problem.

In LibreOffice you can ask for the index to include hyperlinks. I presume that something similar is available in Word.

Any chance of bookmarks being added?

Robin Barker said...

Paul asked: any chance of bookmarks being added? (in a comment that has not appeared)
The answer is yes.

Robin Barker said...

Paul's comment should now appear - it had been marked as spam.
Index entries as hyperlinks is not an option in vanilla Word. But I will be in position to persue these questions in the future.