16 August 2011

An easy day?

Brighton 2011 – Day 4

Midweek at Brighton can be less intense, and today started with a heartly breakfast with little talk of dodgy claims. My dietry foibles are well catered for by the hotel: soya milk (for the lactose intolerant) and veggie sausages (for the vegetarians).

I had the afternoon off and considered the beach. A fortnight ago we had been on holiday in North New South Wales, and spent a day on the beach at Lennox Head, south of Byron Bay. Although it had been winter in Australia, Brighton beach could not really compare: temperatures were similar, but Australia had more sun, sea and sand.

The mean streets – of Brighton and Hove

Pounding the streets of Sydney had done for my dodgy foot (see Best foot forward), and, instead of the beach, I pounded the streets of Brighton and Hove in search of a pharmacist who could provide extra dressings. My search of pharmacists was unsuccessful and the street-pounding had been counter-productive.

I was amused by a sign in a shop: “genuine Panama hats, from Ecuador”; and it reminded my of a sign in a shop in Coffs Harbour (NSW): “50% off bikinis” – which half?

Back to the bridge

This evening was the first session of the Seniors Pairs and the Play With The Experts Pairs. There was much to keep the TDs busy, and as the scorer I found there much work to get the scoring software to deliver the results of Play With The Experts.

No comments: